The thistle - national emblem of Scotland
Please Note: This is a hand-crafted wax seal pendant made with the sealing device described. Each piece is unique, and you will receive the exact wax seal pendant in the photographs and description.
It is said that the thistle became the national emblem thanks to a raiding Viking army. During the reign of Scottish King Alexander III in the mid 1200's, King Haakon of Norway sent his army to go a'conquering in Scotland. Under cover of night, the invaders drew near to the sleeping Scots they intended to vanquish... after having removed their footwear to ensure quite. And (yes, you guessed it!) a hapless Viking warrior stepped on the spiny guardian of the highlands and yelped in pain!
Now awake, the hearty Scottish clansman threw themselves into the battle, and were soon victorious! Ever since, the thistle has remained a symbol of Scotland and Scottish pride in their homeland.
Your Thistle Seal:
- Metal: .999 Fine Silver
- Sealing Device Date: Circa 1820
- Sealing Device Origin: United Kingdom
- Special Note: This seal necklace is hand-made with a brass desk seal made in the 1820's and used throughout the Victorian Era. It was most likely used in a home drawing room for sealing personal correspondence. It is one of my favorites as I cherish all things Scottish from my time living in the UK.
- Jewelry Artist: April Knecht
- Size: 1/2” Across, 1/2” Tall, 20" Antiqued Stainless Steel Chain included
Please Note: I create each piece of Sealed in Time jewelry one-at-a-time by hand. Slight variances are natural, and are part of the joy of a hand-crafted piece of jewelry! Your Thistle seal was created with the actual 1820s seal matrix that once made wax impressions on letters!
Your Sealed in Time Pendant comes with:
- A 20" Antiqued Stainless Steel Chain
- A Detailed, Multi-Page Historic Brief: Seals Have Bound Our Promises Across Time Researched and Written by April Knecht
- A story card detailing the message of your Sealed in Time piece
- An Embroidered Satin Gift Pouch
- A Treasure Jewelry Care Card