“And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:” Mark 12:43
This precious Widow's Mite has survived over 2,000 years to speak to us today...
Please Note: This is an authentic Biblical Widow's Mite from the Holy Land, and you will receive the exact pendant in the photographs and description.
Neither rich nor influential, we don’t even know the name of the Widow who appears in Jesus’ powerful teaching on giving and the state of the heart. Although we will never know her name, her story echoes through time. For she gave everything she had - two of the humble bronze coins we now call "Mites" - a term coined centuries later to designate a coin of little value.
This pendant is part of our Rustic Wire collection. The rustic, antique style of the bezel (the frame around the mite) is specially designed to complement the unique, hand-hammered quality of this ancient coin.
Included with your Widow's Mite pendant is a 20" black leather necklace!
Your Widow's Mite Necklace
- Coin Date and Location of Minting: Circa 78 BC, Jerusalem Mint
- Coin Metal: Ancient Bronze
- Bezel Metal: Sterling Silver
- Size: 5/8" Across, 1" Tall
- Obverse (front): And 8-rayed star signifying heaven, with a diadem (the circle around the star) signifying royalty
- Reverse (back): A Selucid anchor, a power symbol of the day, and the king's name: Alexander Jannaeus
The tiny bronze Widow’s Mite coins were not Roman, but true Judean coins that were minted during the short period of Jewish history between the Old and New Testaments, when Israel was a self-governing nation. Called a Prutah, they were minted under the King and High Priest Alexander Jannaeus, the first of these coins were minted about 78 BC, and perhaps a few decades after, however they were in circulation at the time of Christ, and are remembered for the key part they played in Jesus’ teaching related to tithing and giving.
It was this tiny coin that was actively traded in the markets that Jesus and the disciples passed, and would have been used by the common folk who flocked to listen to the parables of Jesus.
These coins were of so little value, that striking them was done hastily, and, most of the time, much of the design didn't make it on the small coins. On one side is the eight-rayed star, signifying heaven, and on the other, an anchor - a power symbol of the day.
A symbol of faith, hope and selflessness, the humble Widow's Mite has become one of the most loved and valued coins of all time.
Your Widow's Mite Necklace Comes Complete with:
- Our 100% Authentic Lifetime Guarantee
- 20" Black Leather Necklace with 2" Extender
- A Detailed, Customized Multi-Page Photo Certificate of Authenticity Researched and Written by Robert Lewis Knecht
- A Gift Pouch
- A Treasure Jewelry Care Card