This image comes from a legendary Ancient Egyptian scarab
Special Note: This is a one-of-a-kind Mummy Bead & Wax Seal Necklace made with Mummy Beads dating to approximately 800 BC, which were excavated from an ancient Egyptian dig site. For more about Mummy Beads, see below. I will custom-finish your necklace to the length you choose. Use the drop-down menu to choose the length you would like!
I love working with scarabs... the beetle-shaped sealing devices of ancient Egypt. The designs are fascinating - each created with symbols of great significance. The scarab used to make this pendant is 3,500 years old and pictures many symbols significant to the Ancient Egyptians.
This seal depicts, among many symbols:
- Ba, a person's unique Life Force
- The Feather of Maat, which all souls will be measured against in the afterlife - if the should is pure and as light as the feather, it will pass into the afterlife
- The Sacred ibis which represents the divine nature of writing, mathematics, the moon and magic
Your Ancient Egyptian Sacred Divine Seal:
- Metal: .999 Fine Silver
- Beads: Ancient Egyptian Faience Mummy Beads circa 800 BC
- Leather: Top-quality, single-hide Greek leather
- Sealing Device Date: 1,500 BC
- Sealing Device Origin: Egypt
- Special Note: The scarab used to make this wax seal pendant is made of Faience. Faience is the classic blue-green material developed by the Ancients by mixing quartz and silica. The scarab seal works as perfectly now as it did as a seal ring used in Ancient Egypt 3,500 years ago. It is awe-inspiring to use it... and even to just see it sitting there on by work bench when I take it out of the vault.
- Jewelry Artist: April Knecht
- Seal Size: 5/8” Across, 3/4” Tall
- Necklace Length: Custom finished in the length you choose! Please choose your desired length from the drop-down menu.
Please Note: I create each piece of Sealed in Time jewelry one-at-a-time by hand. Slight variances are natural, and are part of the joy of a hand-crafted piece of jewelry! Your "Ancient Egyptian Sacred Divine" seal will be created with the actual 1,500 BC Faience scarab!
The Story of Ancient Egyptian Mummy Beads
Step back into ancient Egypt... The Nile, flowing snake-like in the summer sun... children playing by the banks while parents tilled the fertile fields. Water, sky, lush green crops - color everywhere. And the color was not just found in the natural world. The people of ancient Egypt loved colorful makeup and adornments - from the gold and glittering gems reserved for the wealthiest, to the colorful beads made from more humble materials. It is these beads that you see here. Made from faience, a pulverized quartz sand blended to a paste, it was rolled around a straight straw reed and then cut into discs and tubes. Each piece was then fired... and thats where the real work began. Each bead became part of an intricately netted piece of jewelry or clothing appliqué. Netted faience beads were worn in collars, on fabric panels and in all manner of jewelry. And, like most items of value in ancient Egypt, they were often buried with the mummified individual who owned them - to be discovered in modern times. Hence the term "Mummy Beads." They were made in a rainbow of muted colors, including shades of brick red, sable brown, light yellow, ivory, sage green, royal blue, coal and even subtle turquoise. Each bead is approximately 1/8" diameter x 1/16" width. Because each is handmade, faience Mummy Beads are not uniform in size or shape, each is a completely unique, authentic artifact excavated from an ancient Egyptian site.
Your Sealed in Time Pendant comes with:
A Detailed, Multi-Page Historic Brief: Seals Have Bound Our Promises Across Time Researched and Written by April Knecht
A story card detailing the message and symbolism of your Sealed in Time piece and the story of your authentic, ancient Egyptian Mummy Beads
An Linen Gift Pouch
A Treasure Jewelry Care Card