The Glittering Treasure of the British East Indiaman Joanna
Please Note: This is an authentic Joanna Shipwreck Treasure Coin, and you will receive the exact coin in the photographs and description.
The 550 ton East Indiaman Joanna was already a veteran of five voyages to India by 1682...
On the morning of February 24, 1682, Joanna was making ready to sail on her sixth... and final voyage. She had a compliment of 110 crew and 36 guns and was laying to at The Downs, waiting to catch the east wind.
Bound again for Surat and Bengal, with Captain Robert Brown in command, Joanna got underway on the afternoon of the 24th in the company of four other EIC vessels, Williamson, Nathaniel, Sampson and Welfare. Joanna not only carried lead, copper and other European-made trade goods for the colonists, but she also carried 70 chests of silver pieces of eight! It is one of these coins that is now set in this heirloom pendant.
Your Joanna Shipwreck 8 Reale Piece of Eight:
- Date: circa 1680
- Denomination: 8 Reale
- Mint: Mexico City, New Spain
- Ruler: King Charles II of Spain
- Weight: 20.2 grams
- Size: 35mm Across, 32mm Tall
- Obverse (Front): The Crusaders Cross
- Reverse: (Back): The Shield of King Charles II of Spain
Robert's Notes: Solid specimen - visible shield and assayer. Interesting shape.
Three months into her voyage, eight days of foul weather had prevented Captain Brown and his navigator from getting an accurate idea of Joanna’s location. Believing Joanna was well south of any land, and in water too deep to sound, he ordered the helmsman to head east... It was June 8, 1682.
By dawn, Joanna had come to her final resting place on an outer reef, off of Die Dam, east of Quoin Point... literally within miles of the southern-most point of Africa to the east.
Learn more about Joanna, her history, and the shipwreck... click here>
To see our complete collection of Spanish "Piece of Eight" treasure coins, click here>
Your Joanna Shipwreck 8 Reale Comes Complete with:
1. Our 100% Authentic Lifetime Guarantee
2. A Detailed, Customized, Multi-Page Photo Certificate of Authenticity Researched and Written by Robert Lewis Knecht
3. "Pieces of Eight" Historic Brief
4. The Coins of the Lost Galleons Book
5. Treasure Hunters Gazette Booklet
6. Placement in an Archival Air-Tite Capsule