The cross of Jerusalem... and the golden Spanish Doubloon
Please Note: This is a hand-crafted wax seal pendant made with the sealing device described. Each piece is unique, and you will receive the exact wax seal pendant in the photographs and description.
This seal pendant is made from a coin weight most likely made in Belgium in the 1500s, bearing an image that closely resembles the famed Spanish world trade coin of the day - the 2 Escudo, or, the Doubloon. Find out why below...
Probably the most famous coin of all time, Spanish 2 Escudos (or, more commonly known by their infamous nickname "Doubloon") were 22K gold world trade coins revered by pirates and kings alike for their purity and value. The Spanish placed the Cross of Jerusalem on their stunning coins, and here you see it in all its glory!
What is a coin weight?
Coin weights, often made in Antwerp, were perfectly calibrated weights that allowed merchants and bankers to accept coins from all over Europe. (Remember, coins were made of silver and gold back then!) Simplified, using your coin weight set, you compared the image on the coin weight to the coin in hand, and put one on each side of a balance scale. Wha-la, you knew if it was the proper weight or not!
Your Doubloon Seal:
- Metal: .999 Fine Silver
- Gemstones: Genuine Blue Sapphires
- Sealing Device Date: Circa 1550
- Sealing Device Origin: Most Likely Belgium - but they were produced at other centers of commerce throughout Western Europe
- Special Note: While this coin weight was most likely made in Belgium, it was discovered by metal detector in Bedfordshire, England. When I lived there, I was fascinated by these little treasure finds, and purchased this one and a few others from a local hunter! It's not too surprising to find it in England... these coin weights were made to be used throughout Europe.
- Size: 5/8” Across, 1” Tall, 20" Antiqued Stainless Steel Chain included
Please Note: I create each piece of Sealed in Time jewelry one-at-a-time by hand. Slight variances are natural, and are part of the joy of a hand-crafted piece of jewelry! Your "Doubloon" seal will be created with the actual circa late 1500s coin weight!
Your Sealed in Time Pendant comes with:
A 20" Antiqued Stainless Steel Chain
A Detailed, Multi-Page Historic Brief: Seals Have Bound Our Promises Across Time Researched and Written by April Knecht
A story card detailing the message and symbolism of your Sealed in Time piece
An Embroidered Satin Gift Pouch
A Treasure Jewelry Care Card