The Crusaders Cross, with its message: in this sign, conquer...
This seal is made from a coin weight made in Antwerp, Belgium in 1742, bearing the image of the Portuguese trade coins of the day. The Portuguese were the world's great seafaring explorers, and their coins proudly bore the Cross of Christ with the legend: In Hoc Signo Vinces - I this sign, conquer. A phrase said to originate with Constantine the great, and proclaimed by medieval crusaders, the Portugese chose this historic phrase for their coins. There are few coins as beautiful and magestic as these... you can see the coins themselves here!
What is a coin weight?
Coin weights, often made in Antwerp, were perfectly calibrated weights that allowed merchants and bankers to accept coins from all over Europe. (Remember, coins were made of silver and gold back then!) Simplified, you bought your coin weight set, were given a coin, then compared the image on the coin weight to the coin in hand, and put one on each side of a balance scale. Wha-la, you knew if it was the proper weight or not!
Your Cross of Christ Seal:
- Metal: .999 Fine Silver
- Gemstones: Genuine Blue Sapphires
- Sealing Device Date: Circa 1742
- Sealing Device Origin: Antwerp, Belgium
- Special Note: While this coin weight was most likely made in Belgium, it was discovered by metal detector in Bedfordshire, England. When I lived there, I was fascinated by these little treasure finds, and purchased this one and a few others from a local hunter! It's not too surprising to find it in England... these coin weights were made to be used throughout Europe.
- Size: 3/4” Across, 3/4” Tall, 20" Antiqued Stainless Steel Chain included
See the Cross of Christ seal with gemstones here!
Please Note: I create each piece of Sealed in Time jewelry one-at-a-time by hand. Slight variances are natural, and are part of the joy of a hand-crafted piece of jewelry! Your "Cross of Christ" seal will be created with the actual circa 1740 coin weight!
Your Sealed in Time Pendant comes with:
A 20" Antiqued Stainless Steel Chain
A Detailed, Multi-Page Historic Brief: Seals Have Bound Our Promises Across Time Researched and Written by April Knecht
A story card detailing the message and symbolism of your Sealed in Time piece
An Embroidered Satin Gift Pouch
A Treasure Jewelry Care Card