Delicately curved cup coins featuring the portrait of Jesus Christ - a testament of faith in glowing bronze
By the early 5th Century, the once dominant Roman Empire was a fragmented collection of on-again, off-again allied or warring regions. Divided roughly between the western and eastern halves of the empire, the glory of Rome was no longer. Out of the ashes of this once great society rose the empire that would dominate European culture, economics and warfare for close to a millennium: The Eastern Roman, or Christian Byzantine Empire.
Perhaps the most famous of all Byzantine coins is the distinctive, and unique, Cup Coins. With gentle to steep domes, these curved coins have fascinated collectors and historians alike for almost 1,000 years.
Reminiscent of the slightly bowed coins of ancient Greece, first gently curved and then deeply cupped coins emerged in the 11th Century with the reign of Michael IV, whose gold coins started to show a distinct curvature. By the middle of the 12th Century, coins in all metals were deeply cupped.
Your Byzantine Bronze Cup Coin:
- Denomination: Broze Cup Coin
- Date: 1200 AD
- Obverse (Front): Portrait of a Haloed Jesus Christ
- Reverse (Back): The Byzantine Ruler
- Coin Metal: Bronze
- Bezel Metal: Proprietary Non-Tarnishing Sterling Silver
- Jewelry Artist: Robert Lewis Knecht
- Size: 1 1/4” Across, 1 1/2” Tall
And the domed shape of these coins has another advantage. The Byzantines were devout Christians, and the elegant dome of Cup Coins elevates the portrait of Jesus Christ which always appears at the top of the dome. This design with Jesus’ striking halo, is one of the most beloved of the sacred symbols immortalized on coins throughout time, and has a place of prominence on the coin just because of its shape!
Your Byzantine Follis Pendant comes with:
- Our 100% Authentic Lifetime Guarantee
- A Detailed, Multi-Page Certificate of Authenticity Researched and Written by Robert Lewis Knecht
- Treasure Hunters Gazette Booklet
- A Gift Box
- A Treasure Jewelry Care Card