The Romans revered the cat... both large and small
Would it surprise you to know that the warrior culture of Rome didn't revere the cat for its hunting ability? The Romans actually kept domesticated weasels for vermin control... and cats for companionship and pleasure.
The Romans did revere cats as a symbol of unrivaled independence with a comic streak. They also considered them the symbol of the warmth of home - a powerful concept for a culture where it wasn't uncommon to spend years away from home on military campaigns. And, just like today, the lion was considered the ultimate example of regal power.
The bronze seal ring that makes this pendant has been a matter of debate around Cannon Beach Treasure for years. What we can tell you is that it may be a lion... but it might also be a cat much like our resident cats here: Treasure and Jet Stream. This seal is a wonderful reminder to be strong and independent... but never lose your sense of humor... or as a reminder of that special cat in your life!
Your Ancient Roman Cat Seal:
- Metal: .999 Fine Silver
- Sealing Device Date: 200 AD
- Sealing Device Origin: England
- Special Note: The bronze seal ring used to make this pendant is sturdy and deeply carved, giving an excellent impression to this day. There is no way of knowing where it was made. Perhaps it was made in England, however, it could just of easily traveled from the Continent on the finger of a Roman citizen.
- Jewelry Artist: April Knecht
- Size: 5/8” Across, 7/8” Tall, 20" Antiqued Stainless Steel Chain included
Please Note: I create each piece of Sealed in Time jewelry one-at-a-time by hand. Slight variances are natural, and are part of the joy of a hand-crafted piece of jewelry! Your "Ancient Roman Cat" seal will be created with the actual 200 AD bronze seal ring!
Your Sealed in Time Pendant comes with:
A 20" Antiqued Stainless Steel Chain
A Detailed, Multi-Page Historic Brief: Seals Have Bound Our Promises Across Time Researched and Written by April Knecht
A story card detailing the message and symbolism of your Sealed in Time piece
An Linen Gift Pouch
A Treasure Jewelry Care Card