The Regal French Fleur de lis Cross - a Stunning Sign of Faith
This seal is made from a coin weight made in Antwerp, Belgium in the 1500s, bearing the image of the French gold trade coins of the day. There is nothing quite like regal French coinage of the late middle ages and Age of Discovery. With each bar of the Crusader's Cross of Jerusalem terminated in a French Fleur de lis, it is unmistakably French - and the seal used to make this pendant bears the same image, as it is a Coin Weight - used to test the French coinage tendered throughout Europe.
What is a coin weight?
Coin weights, often made in Antwerp, were perfectly calibrated weights that allowed merchants and bankers to accept coins from all over Europe. (Remember, coins were made of silver and gold back then!) Simplified, you bought your coin weight set, were given a coin, then compared the image on the coin weight to the coin in hand, and put one on each side of a balance scale. Viola, you knew if it was the proper weight or not!
Your French Fleur de lis Cross Seal:
- Metal: .999 Fine Silver
- Sealing Device Date: Circa 1500 AD
- Sealing Device Origin: Belgium
- Special Note: Because we love all things currency, and specialize in sunken and buried treasure, we sometimes come across coin weights that our hunters have unearthed. The coin weight used to make this pendant is one of the best I've seen - discovered on farmland in England, it is a perfectly preserved example!
- Jewelry Artist: April Knecht
- Size: 1” Across, 1 1/4” Tall, 20" Antiqued Stainless Steel Chain included
Please Note: I create each piece of Sealed in Time jewelry one-at-a-time by hand. Slight variances are natural, and are part of the joy of a hand-crafted piece of jewelry! Your "French Fleur de lis Cross" seal will be created with the actual 1500s AD Coin Weight!
Your Sealed in Time Pendant comes with:
A 20" Antiqued Stainless Steel Chain
A Detailed, Multi-Page Historic Brief: Seals Have Bound Our Promises Across Time Researched and Written by April Knecht
A story card detailing the message and symbolism of your Sealed in Time piece
An Linen Gift Pouch
A Treasure Jewelry Care Card