A Sign of Faith for 500 Years - The Medieval Silver Hungary Coin with Mary & Baby Jesus
Please Note: This is an authentic Hungarian Denar Treasure Coin, and you will receive the exact pendant in the photographs and description.
The incredibly detailed medieval silver Denar is known the world over as "the Christmas coin." Minted in Hungary from the 1400’s through the early 1600’s, these precious silver coins clearly dated, which was unusual at the time. Depicting the image of the baby Jesus in the arms of the Madonna, the Patron Saint of Hungary, the coins were a visible tribute to the belief of an entire nation and a powerful statement of faith.
Your Silver Christian Denar:
- Denomination: Denar
- Date: 1615
- Obverse (Front): Mary Cradling the Baby Jesus
- Reverse (Back): Royal Coat of Arms, including a Crusader Knight’s cross
- Coin Metal: Silver
- Bezel Metal: 14K Gold
- Articulating Bail Interior Diameter: Will accommodate chain or leather necklace up to 5.8 mm
- Size: 3/4” Across, 1 1/8” Tall
Robert's Notes: This coin is in stunning condition. It is virtually uncirculated. Note the clear, crisp date!
Although constantly at war with the Ottoman Empire, Hungary was prosperous, and created beautifully detailed silver coins throughout the Middle Ages. This Denar was the first to portray the image of the Christ Child and Mary, with the royal shield on the reverse, and the coins soon became a signature for Hungary as a whole.
The coin commemorates the birth of Christ. One side shows the Royal Coat of Arms, including a Crusader Knight’s cross, while the other side features the image of the Madonna holding baby Jesus. Only a small quantity of these rare and wonderful coins survived the ages – and this top grade example is one of them!
Your Silver Christian Denar Coin Pendant comes with:
- Our 100% Authentic Lifetime Guarantee
- A Detailed, Multi-Page Certificate of Authenticity Researched and Written by April Knecht
- Treasure Hunters Gazette Booklet
- A Gift Box
- A Treasure Jewelry Care Card